Plunge yourself into the daily life of a prince at the end of the Middle Ages. The credenzas and sculpted beds, trunks with elaborate locks, prestigious wall hangings from the 15th and 16th centuries, but also the refined dishes, precious tableware and reconstituted costumes put life back into the reception halls and the private rooms in the lordly residence (see the château’s interiors).
Relive the event that marked the château’s history : the royal wedding of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany, portrayed by strikingly realistic wax figures.
Walk along the parapet walk with its machicolations, then visit the medieval-style gardens and the park. There you will discover the keep’s construction site as the builders of the year 1000 would have known it, the tree house and the belvedere on the Loire (see the château’s park).
Please note : the drawbridge is one of the last to still be activated manually, at the château’s opening and closing times ! (see the château’s opening hours).
To discover the fun activities for the entire family, please consult the page Family Tours.
Visitors with a handicap, please consult the page Tours and handicaps.
Unguided tour with information cards
In each room, information cards let you discover, at your own pace, the life of a great lord in the Middle Ages. And you can be a guest at the royal wedding ceremony of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany, recreated in sound and light (in French and English/length : 8 minutes). – Length : 90 minutes (château and park) – Languages : information cards in French, English, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese
Let yourself be transported to a period rich in changes, with a tour full of entertaining stories through the main rooms of the château. The lordly way of life, table manners, entertaining guests, wardrobes… will all be revealed to you.
– Length : 1 hour.
– Language : in French only
– Conditions : during school holidays and depending on the programming (consult the programming)
– Possibility of picnicking in the château’s park or in the covered market in the town centre in the case of rain (2 min on foot) / Beverages on sale at the gift shop.
– Rest and recreations areas in the park : playgrounds and tree house. Due to the health measures linked to Covid-19, wearing a mask is compulsory inside the castle. We thank you for your understanding.
– Gift shop and bookstore specialising in the Middle Ages, children’s section (books about daily life, games and costumes).